Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Why I'm excited for No Man's Sky



At the E3 2014 Playstation press conference, we were shown a trailer for a brand new IP from Hello Games called No Man's Sky. We were shown you, the player walking around a planet called Oria V. We see what kind of planets and animals exist right before the player takes of into his ship and flies outer space next to some other ships. We eventually see a dogfight and the trailer ends.

Initially I didn't care for what I saw. It was a mix of things ranging from I didn't quite understand what kind of game it was, what I do in the game, and how I'm reminded how much I didn't like Proteus (which is an open exploration game). Anyways come E3 2015, we were shown a live demo and the million dollar question had finally shed some light on the game for me (and possible others as well). That question being "what do we actually do in this game?" While Sean Murray couldn't really show off too much of the game due to time restraints, he did get to say there's trading, fighting, exploring, and survival in No Man's Sky. After that presentation I felt a lot more excited for this game because I got a better idea of what to expect.

Since this year's E3 I've been looking up news on the game to see what other features and stuff are in the game. Some of the things that excite me are how big this game is. This universe is MASSIVE! In fact it will take someone 5 Billion years just to explore every planet. Next thing I like is the level of freedom we get here. The story is we all want to get to the "center of the universe" but how we get there and how long it takes us is entirely up to us. It's kind of like Minecraft. There's no right way to play Minecraft, you can either try to survive or play creative. You make your own story, and I like how No Man's Sky is trying to accomplish here. Some other cool stuff includes everyone starts in a different world when you boot up the game for the first time, and you can intervene and help factions in dogfights outer space.

As a guy that loves reading comics, some of the concepts that are in No Man's Sky reminds me of Guardians of the Galaxy or Green Lantern. With the robots on patrol throughout the universe wanting to take you down if your mschivious. Bounties can be put out on you, and there's a space station.

I don't know how much more Hello Games is going to put into the game, but if there were alien civilizations on some planets and they put in interactions I think it would be a nice addition. They could try and teach us there culture and their planets history. Plus let there be consequences. Let's say some other player goes to a peaceful planet long before I do and causes lot's of chaos, and then I come to this planet and they no longer trust outsiders and causes conflict for me. Those kind of little things wouldn't be bad to have.

Anyways whenever No Man's Sky releases, I definitely want to check it out for my PS4.

No comments:

Post a Comment